"There is no such thing in any body's life as an unimportant day"
- Alexander Woollcot
"Nothing improves my hearing better than praise"
"If you think you can or you think you can't, it's true"
- Henry Ford
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are"
- Theodore Roosevelt
The Guidance Programme
All staff are concerned about the educational, vocational, personal and social development of each student. The deans, counsellors, the Resource Teacher of Learning and Behaviour and the Management team work closely together to ensure that every student has the opportunity to explore options and to make informed choices.
The counsellors are available for confidential counselling and to assist with subject choice, training and career decisions. We welcome contact from parents.
Year 12 students receive leadership training.
The Administration building provides a central location for all student services including the Health Clinic and offices for guidance, careers, RTLB and Year level deans.
Support Services on Offer at HGHS
A feature of the school is the strong Guidance Network to ensure all students' needs are catered for in a safe environment.
School Programmes offered in the School are:
- Tutor Group Teachers: They are in daily contact with all students to meet needs on an ongoing basis
- Deans: Each Dean stays with her own peer level over the students time at school from Year 9 - Year 13
- Resiliency Support Programme: Students work with a teacher or teacher-aide to assist them to overcome challenges and encourage them to develop social, academic and vocational competence
- Peer Mediators Team: Students working with students to resolve problems.
- Anti Harassment Team: Senior students are trained to provide mediation and conflict resolution for all students
- Sexual Harassment: Senior students are trained to deal with any harassment issues
- Peer Sexuality: Leaders are trained to assist students by providing information on sexual health
- No Blame Bullying is a programme designed to combat bullying in schools
- Support groups are run using outside facilitators as the need arises. These include self esteem, anger and life skills
Pastoral Care Support Team
Specialist Services offered by the School:
- Guidance Counsellors: Two counsellors are available for confidential counseling
- Careers Counselor is available to provide individual or group careers advice and information as well as helping with subject choices
- Resource Teacher: Learning and Behaviour. The school has the support of the RTLB who is based within the school to work with students teachers and caregivers to support positive outcomes for students
- School Nurse: A nurse is available in school from 9 - 3 every day
- School Doctor: A doctor visits once a week to provide free consultations
- Public Health Nurse: visits the school on a regular basis